Thursday, June 27, 2013

Carthage Jail

As we toured the Carthage Jail it was very quiet.  We listened to the stories that the missionaries told us about what went on here.  As we went upstairs and into the room where they were killed, I got very emotional, thinking that this is where our dear beloved Prophet Joseph Smith  spent his last days.  Jeff told us that the floor boards still have blood on them so they turned them over so that no one can see them.  While Joseph was in there he asked John Taylor to sing a song.  It was "A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief".  The morning that all of this happened he wrote Emma a letter, "I am very much resigned to my lot, knowing I am justified, and have done the best that could be done.  Give my love to the children and all my friends...May God bless you all."  I was very touched by Joseph Smith and all of the many things that he went through.  My testimony has grown so much by being here and in Nauvoo.  I love our Prophet.

No comments:

Post a Comment